Monday, May 5, 2014

God is good...

I belonged to the LDS (Mormon) church for a number of years.  I've researched a plethora of religions.  I've come to the conclusion that organized religion is not right for me (believe me - I've tried to find somewhere I could go and feel like it was right).  That being said, I do believe in a God.  I'm not sure what God (or Gods) I believe in, but I find many truths in a great many religions that I have looked into.  I believe that religion answers what science can't, and science answers what religion can't.

I almost made an Atheist sounding response to a post I saw on FB today...a person on my list, who happens to be a nurse, was praising God and saying that it is all Gods work that helped their child get better.  In the SAME status they said "There's no more physical therapy, no more tubes to be fed from, no more doctor appointments needed.  *kid* is BETTER!  THANK GOD!" type of thing.  They were saying everything that there is no more need for, and praising God for all of it.  They didn't thank the doctors, the modern medicine (or the tools with which the medicine was deposited into the child to make them better).  Then everyone who commented were saying "PRAISE GOD!"  "AMEN!"  and all that.

I love the person who posted the status.  I am glad that their child is better.  But I find it rather ignorant to only praise God in the healing of the child, without thanking modern medicine (or at least thanking God for helping create modern medicine).

Am I callous and close minded?  Am I missing the point of thanking God, even though I see science and medicine being a big part of the healing process for this child?

Sorry...I wanted to say this, and I am not saying that they are wrong for being faithful and asking God for help and guidance.  But I feel that it wasn't just God that helped their kid get better.

Shutting up now.

No comments:

Post a Comment