Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Personal reflection...

Yesterday I was quick to judge in a situation, and I realize that I was repeating an issue I'd seen in myself before.  I don't want to live in guilt over things I say, and so I've decided that I need to work on my patience.  I need to focus on reviewing the situation, looking through the eyes of the other person(s) involved, and I need to not only diffuse the situation (if possible) - or just keep my mouth shut.

We all know that saying "If you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all."  I forgot it.  I let myself get angry without thinking how it would affect those involved.  While I may feel valid with my reaction and the way I handled things, if I was in the other persons shoes then I could see my reaction as an attack...like I'm fake, and that nothing I say is truth.

I have changed a LOT in the last 10 years.  Who I was when I was married to my ex husband is not who I am with my current (and forever) husband.  Who I was before I became a mom is not who I am now.  Age, parenting, and the relationship I'm in have caused me to be a far better person than I was before.

But I'm not perfect.  Just like I judged a friends husband based on the things I'd heard and seen, and then he died...I still feel guilty.  Like I didn't try to understand the reasoning behind his actions.  I don't want this to happen again.  I'm better than that.

I won't ever be on Ghandi's level, but I am going to do my best to remain calmer and focus on looking at all aspects of a situation.

And to the person(s) I was talking about in my last post - I'm sorry.

***

This site, which talks about 13 things to remember when life gets rough, actually helped me realize that I might feel like I am being as good as I can be...but there's a lot that I can fix.  Why dontcha go check it out?  http://www.lifehack.org/articles/communication/13-things-remember-when-life-gets-rough.html

No comments:

Post a Comment