Thursday, March 13, 2014

Random updates about V-man

This happened tonight, as I was getting V ready for bed:

V is such a tender-hearted little soul!  The problem with that, though, is he also knows how to break out the crocodile tears.  So when he didn't hold his breath for the 30 seconds (he was dunking his head in the bath, asked me to count to 30), only getting to 25, I thought his sob face was a joke.  I realized, only  as the sobs grew, that he wasn't joking.

Poor kiddo thought that the first time he tried to hold his breath for 30 seconds that it'd be easy.  I know adults who can't hold their breath 20 seconds, and he got to 25.  But man...that kid feels like a total failure.  I'm glad I was able to calm him down, tell him we'll practice more, and that he is totally awesome.  But holy crow...it was a very sad few minutes before bed.

***

The other day, as V was getting ready for school, I had "A Baby Story" on (TLC Channel).  V asked me "Mom, how are babies made?"  I responded that they're made in mommy bellies.  He asked "No...what makes the babies?"  So I figure, trying to be as simple and age appropriate as possible, I'd explain it in vague terms.  I said that females, or girls, have itty bitty little eggs in their bellies.  These eggs don't do anything until a male, or boy, plants a seed in them.  When the seed attaches to the egg, a baby begins to grow.  Small at first, they grow bigger and bigger, making the mommies bellies huge.  Then ploop - baby gets born and we've got a baby!

V then says "How does the seed get in the belly?"  I pause, not wanting to say too much...and wonder where the heck this almost 8 year old boy is coming up with these questions.  I know it's getting closer and closer to being age appropriate to have the talk, but by the time I get to talking with V about the birds and the bees he's going to know everything ANYWAY.

Not sure how I feel about that.

***

V absolutely adores being able to play outside.  He's a rough and tumble kinda kid.  Problem with that, though, is I see all the booboo's and just worry about him.  He's got scrapes on his chest, back, knees...and I ask him "How did this happen?"  His response?  "I'm just playing.  I'm okay.  If I'm not okay I will let you know."

WHA!  That's a relatively mature response, and so I'm left sitting here...wanting to cocoon V in safety wrapping, yet grateful for his independent streak (and the fact that he's not the kid who cries over a skinned knee).  GEEZE!  How'd he grow up so fast!?

1 comment: